The Way Forward
The Equality Authority has devised 10 steps to achieving Equality in small and medium organisations.
- Agree and support an Equality Committee and Equality Officer.
- Communicate an Employment Equality Policy with employees, clients, business contacts and service providers.
- Develop Equality in Recruitment and Selection Processes.
- Include Positive actions as allowed under Equality Legislation.
- Accommodate Diversity across the nine grounds and develop workplace flexibilities.
- Build Equality into Job Induction and Orientation.
- Integrate Equality into Training, work experience and counselling.
- Develop Equality of Opportunity in Promotions and Progression.
- Develop a network with other organisations to ensure “best Practice” on Equality in your organisation.
- Evaluate, Monitor and review your Equality policies and practices.
Partnership, Consultation and Research are key elements in the preparation of an Equality Policy.
Partnership involves the active collaboration of Management and Employee / Trade Union representatives.
Consultation involves a hearing for the perspective and analysis of all employees in drawing up a policy.
Research involves an exploration of good practice elsewhere so that high standards can be realised based on the experience of other enterprises.